Replace headlight bulbs

Don't be afraid to ask!

Moderator: Site Moderators

Replace headlight bulbs

Postby gazzer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 14:58 14

Hi, I bought a Majesty YP400 in Sweden last year for commuting to my job. It's across the other side of town and and it's a lot more convenient to ride a scooter instead of car or taking the public transportation.
Anyway, I'm thinking of changing the headlight H4 (You have the same in US, right?) to those that are a bit brighter, like xenon. I've seen them on other bikes and it's a big difference.
Does anyone know how to change the bulbs? It doesn't say in the instruction book, and it can't be that bad, can it?
I haven't found any Majesty forums in Sweden, that's why I'm asking for your help. :)
gazzer

MajestyUSA.com
Advertisement

Postby ricbug » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:02 02

Hi. I changed mine to 5000k xenon and they look great. you can reach them from under the headlamp if you don't have big hands. I also removed the "V"cowling on top so i could see better. there's a rubber cover that you have to remove than you unplug the bulb which is a bit hard. After that you open the bulb spring and the bulb is out.
You can see my lights here:

http://majestyusa.com/gallery/v/ricbug/ ... fications/
Smokey Grey Majesty 2007 - Denso Iridium Plug - Yamaha Decals - Yamaha Sport Windshield - Blue Instrument Panel - White LED Front Position Bulbs - 5000K Diamond White H4 Headlights - White LED Shadow - J.Costa Variator
ricbug
Super Poster

Postby gruntled » Tue Aug 17, 2010 15:52 15

If you take it to the dealer they take off a great deal of the tupperware & the labor cost here is about $100 just to replace one bulb.
It can be done up through the wheelwell & if you remove the turn signal
it will be easier to see what you are doing rather than doing it blind by feel.
If your hands are small enough you may even be able to get one hand in through the turn signal opening.
gruntled
Insane Poster

Postby gazzer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 16:33 16

Thanks for your replies, I will have a look and see if I can figure out the ways you describe.
ricbug: I have seen your pictures when I was searching for information, and it looks good. I am also thinking of changing the position bulbs.
gazzer

Postby ricbug » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:17 02

I also changed the position bulbs. they're the normal slider type that you find in most cars, (T10) you can find a lot on ebay or from car accessoory shops. From ebay I also found clear position/indicator lamps. Than I changed the indicator bulb to a mirror type. They look great.
Smokey Grey Majesty 2007 - Denso Iridium Plug - Yamaha Decals - Yamaha Sport Windshield - Blue Instrument Panel - White LED Front Position Bulbs - 5000K Diamond White H4 Headlights - White LED Shadow - J.Costa Variator
ricbug
Super Poster

Postby gazzer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:26 05

Is it t10 bulbs for the position lights? Those small ones without a real socket?
I thought it was ba15 5w.
gazzer

Postby ricbug » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:54 10

Yes front position lights use T10 (slide in type)
The ba15s 5w is used for number plate light.
ricbug
Super Poster

Postby gazzer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 14:33 14

:?
That was pretty tight. But I made it! I had to tell someone, but my wife was not very impressed when I told her I managed to replace a bulb on my bike.
But one of the rubber things in the middle that hold the windsceen disappeared somewhere. And I broke one the plastic screws. Why on earth do they use plastic screws? How do I get that one out now? :evil:
gazzer

Postby Wilmo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 15:49 15

They're plastic for 'safety' in an accident-they allow it pop away. Those screw into a grommet which has a brass threaded insert. Just remove the rest of the screws on that side, carefully grab what's left of the threads with a needlenose plier and twist it back out. If all else fails just pull out the grommet when you remove the windshield and the black plastic plate below it.
wilmo
-------------
2005 Blue (the fastest) Majesty (30,034)
Mods: GIVI pass. back rest, trimmed rear fender, blue LED dash lights, 7Jurock touring shield, blacked out exhaust, Mike's mirror extenders
Other ride: Vintage 1986 Blue Honda Goldwing Aspencade (49,256)
Wilmo
MajestyUSA Supporter
MajestyUSA Supporter

How to unhook the black connector?

Postby mhewett » Fri Sep 10, 2010 22:08 22

I just bought a 2005 Majesty, but the left headlamp is burnt out. I can reach up to the black connector, but I can't get it unplugged. I don't see any "catch" on the bottom, left or right and I can't feel one on the top.

How do you unplug the connector?
mhewett

Postby gazzer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 15:37 15

The connector should only be pulled out. It was quite hard to pull it out, it might help if you try to move from side to side and up and down but carefully.
In europe we have H4 bulbs, is it same type in US?
When the black connector is removed you can remove the rubber thing and then you have to open the spring to remove the bulb.
As ricbug told me earlier it might be easier if you remove the V shaped cover on top, so you can see what you are doing. But that is quite tricky as well. I broke one of the screws. :(
gazzer

Return to Newbie Questions!