Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

Majesty won't start.

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  majestyyp400 
#1 ·
My bike is sitting at the grocery store tonight. When I came out of the store to come home the starter would not turn over.
The kickstand is up, I cycled the kill switch several times, held in the brake lever but the starter would only give a slight click each time I tried it.
The headlights come on strong, the yellow trouble light cycles & it blinks on when I try to start. Could it be the battery?
Tomorrow I will try taking the battery out & charging it before I call the tow truck. I was planning a trip to Laughlin but now I am worried about trying that.

#5 ·
gruntled said:
I'm waiting for them to finish repairing it. They say the starter motor is frozen. They had to take the bike apart to get to it & then they could either rebuild it or replace it. I told them to rebuild it & the cost will be over $500. :cry:
$500 must cover a lot of labor. A new replacement starter is about $300 (based on 2006 Majesty, www.bikebandit.com )

Vic

#7 ·
The damn plastic is one of the biggest problems with most motor scooters today. My first scooter was the Wards version of mitsubishi silver pigeon and the whole cover lifted up and in less than a min. you had complete access to the engine/transmission. Right now I would trade even up for that scooter on the spot. (and, $92 worth of air cleaners on a scooter is insane too)

#8 ·
Better yet, why TWO air filters for a single cylinder engine? Why make them so hard to replace? Why put them where they get so dirty so quickly? But then that's the problem with most of the bike. Look at how hard it is to replace a headlight bulb.
Why is the oil tube so short? Why not a spin off oil filter? Why make the battery so hard to get to?
The guys who designed this thing must have stayed up many nights working on how to do things the worst possible way.
Just trying to check the tire pressure on the rear tire is a job.

#9 ·
As far as I am concerned the majesty has to be one of the most poorly designed scooters ever made. When they work all is fine, but if they are broke I offer my condolences. The poor design of the air filters along with the cost is why my scooter was "unloaded" and up for sale and I unknowingly bought it to ride a few thousand miles and find it needs a ring job. I would have been better off to buy a chinese 300cc. If I had I would be out riding this afternoon. john

#10 ·
So true about the Majesty not being easy to service. Yamaha paid a whopping $1800 dollars for the fuel pump replacement, now that's stupid. If mine gives me anymore major trouble it's history, I'll buy a Burg 650E, now I know it has a lot of tupperware on it too but it is again well noted that the Majesty is just plain expensive to repair. I like doing my own wrenching so those costs could be cut down but doing the stuff I do just tearing it down myself is a chore, it was commented earlier, why in the heck would someone make it so hard to work on?

#11 ·
I do all my own wrenching unless it is a major repair. If you think the Majesty is hard to service just try the Burgman. I owned a Burgman 650, everything is harder to work on. From what I've seen of the Majesty service guides, routine maintenance is not very difficult, or nolt what I'd call that difficult.

Vic

#12 ·
gruntled said:
Better yet, why TWO air filters for a single cylinder engine? Why make them so hard to replace? Why put them where they get so dirty so quickly? But then that's the problem with most of the bike. Look at how hard it is to replace a headlight bulb.
Why is the oil tube so short? Why not a spin off oil filter? Why make the battery so hard to get to?
The guys who designed this thing must have stayed up many nights working on how to do things the worst possible way...
Yettanuther YammiGotcha: The fork tubes can't be dropped (for seal replacement) - or reinstalled - with the fork caps in place.

'Geezer

#13 ·
The seals are however better protected than they were on my Yamaha Virago. I would give them a feeble thumbs up on that one.
The oil filler tube really bugs me. Why that piece of plastic that makes it hard to get your fingers in, but mostly why is the damn thing so short? It would be really bad if you needed to add oil & didn't have any way to get to it. Why is one of the bolts on the oil filter cover hard to get to? Why are some of the bolts on the air filters hard to get to? I replaced those bolts with Allen heads, that makes them much easier than the Phillips head bolts.
They must have had a great laugh when they made the bolt placement for the rear seat. Maybe it's just me but I have a great deal of trouble seeing the instument panel when the sun is ahead of me. I do however like the nighttime dash lights. It just goes on & on from one end of the scooter to the other.

#14 ·
...and why is it so hard to find the side stand nub when you're seated? How come the floor boards disappear beneath the seat (where I like to place my feet)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.