Mororcycle fatality

Discuss safety issues. Post links. Share ideas and experiences to help other drivers to be safer.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Mororcycle fatality

Postby Erik_L » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:02 06

My wife is learning that it is not the machine that is dangerous, but the person riding it. She read a news story of this year's second death in a neighboring county. A motorcycle attempted to pass two vehicles on a two-lane road as the lead vehicle was turning left into a driveway. After reading the article, my wife said in a low, resigned voice, "Another stupid driver." I could hear in her voice that as she reads these news stories, it is beginning to sink in that most motorcycle fatalities occur due to driver neglagence. It makes me feel good to know she is starting to understand that 2-wheels are not as dangerous as she thought.

Drive safe, people; have the proper gear and the proper frame of mind before you start the engine.
Enjoy the Day!
Erik_L

Calhoun, TN
Erik_L
Super Poster

MajestyUSA.com
Advertisement

Re: Mororcycle fatality

Postby Paul Rossmann » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 10

Sometimes even the smartest riders die, but you certainly lessen the chances be removing yourself from every "dangerous" statistical group as possible: alcohol, speed, night driving, inexperience (every one is there initially), age (everyone, hopefully, gets there eventually), horsepower (in conjuntion with inexperience) and of course the one that everyone gets riled up about; safety gear.

It has taken my wife about three years, two trips to the mountains in the fall, three jackets, one pair of gloves (red leather from Paris) and two helmets to actually enjoying riding on the scooter. She has asked me more than once if we would have to go back to France if she needed to replace her gloves.

Oh, the price we pay!
"The grass IS always greener on the other side of the fence" —BETSY THE COW
Paul Rossmann
Super Poster

Postby Daboo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 18:02 18

I am actually more scared by the other motorcycle riders around here, than I am by the cages. 95% of our riders are only fair-weather riders. With our rain and cooler temps, that means they are out about 3 months of the year...and any time the temp gets close to 50F with no rain in the forecast. When they come out, there are a few behaviours that make me nervous.
  • They want to join up with me and ride real real close. :shock: And all they have is 3 months of experience, repeated perhaps 20 times. But they've been riding for 20 years and are experts. :roll:
  • Their egos need boosting, so they have to pass me when there's no room.
  • They act like jerks and all the cars (and me) are just pylons on the road to weave through at crazy speeds. They are counting on all of us not to do what they are doing. They have a "right" to disregard speed limits and courtesies of the road...but if we all did the same, we'd all be dead.
  • Those bikers...who were driving halfway sane just the day before in their cars, are now invincible and do crazy things...that can take my life in their hands.

I remember last Spring of a fatality down south near Puyallup. (We can tell around here if you're a native, if you can pronounce that correctly. :lol: ) A car turned in front of a biker and the biker died at the scene. I have no sympathy for the biker. None. I do for the wife and kid he left behind to fend for themselves after being stupid. He was doing well over 120 mph in a 40 mph speed zone. The car saw him a long ways away and turned left. If he had been anywhere close to the speed limit, there wouldn't have been a problem. But at that closure speed, not only did the car driver not have a reasonable chance to judge the speed and distance, but the motorcycle rider didn't even have time to react. His body flew well over a hundred feet in the air before it hit the ground.

I have a friend at work with an FZ-1. He's over 60 yrs old, and normally calm and staid. The FZ-1 is a 2006 with less than 3000 miles. On the few times he rides to work, he usually is riding at 80-85 mph. He is older with slow reaction times. He has no experience...but considers himself a real motorcycle rider. And he's an accident waiting to happen.

Chris
Deborah - 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 (AN400K8) w/ Givi AIRFLOW AF266 windscreen, Grip Puppies, Beaded Seat Cushion, DPS & HiT Clutch.
Barak - 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (AN400K7) 48,969 miles. (Gone, but not forgotten.)

IBA# 49894
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder to 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6
Daboo
Insane Poster

Postby Vigilante » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:58 06

Daboo wrote:I remember last Spring of a fatality down south near Puyallup. (We can tell around here if you're a native, if you can pronounce that correctly. :lol: )

Looks like it should be pronounced "pile-up", figuratively speaking.
Vigilante
Super Poster

Postby Paul Rossmann » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:17 10

Daboo wrote:[*] They want to join up with me and ride real real close. :shock: And all they have is 3 months of experience, repeated perhaps 20 times. But they've been riding for 20 years and are experts. :roll:
[*] Their egos need boosting, so they have to pass me when there's no room.
[*] They act like jerks and all the cars (and me) are just pylons on the road to weave through at crazy speeds. They are counting on all of us not to do what they are doing. They have a "right" to disregard speed limits and courtesies of the road...but if we all did the same, we'd all be dead.
[*] Those bikers...who were driving halfway sane just the day before in their cars, are now invincible and do crazy things...that can take my life in their hands.[/list]

Those are the statistical groups to remove yourself from. The make us all look bad and certainly skew the "numbers."

However just when you think you have seen every idiot thing possible on a motorcycle (my favorite is the guy and girl I saw last summer. On a sport bike... shorts and tshirts... doing about 50 in a 35 zone and BOTH on cell phones) there was a guy I saw over the weekend, standing up on a jet ski that was on a trailer (not strapped down) being pulled by a pickup truck. Go figure.
Paul Rossmann
Super Poster

Postby Sku-Torr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 20:21 20

Check this IDIOT out...

To be SAFER he's curling up his toes...
Attachments
img_9020.jpg
2009 "Faster Yellow" Tmax
(EU Winkers, GIVI Airflo, Tail Tidy, Short Mirrors, Sintered Pads, Short Levers, Grip Puppies, Dr. Pulleys, Power Pures, River Road Luggage, Lexan Divider, B/R Risers, 12v Outlet, Silverstar Bulbs, Seger Horn)
2009 Majesty - SOLD
2007 Mojito 150 - SOLD
Sku-Torr
Insane Poster

Postby Paul Rossmann » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 11

Ah! The "immortals."
Paul Rossmann
Super Poster

Postby viclavigne » Sun Apr 22, 2012 16:20 16

After many years of riding, I will venture to say that safety is a combination of many things: safe rider, sane cagers, bike condition, road condition, environmental conditions. A problem with any of those can lead to catastrophe. I am concerned by riders who think they are smart riders and can outwit all the distracted car and truck drivers that are out there. ATGATT if you want to play it safe.

Vic
Current bikes:
2009 Honda Silverwing
2012 Yamaha Majesty
viclavigne

Postby paulinsf » Wed Jun 04, 2014 17:59 17

...Puyallup. (We can tell around here if you're a native, if you can pronounce that correctly. :lol: )

Pew, as in the bench you sit on in church. Al, as in Clinton's VP, Lip as in where one applies the Chap Stick.

I used to commute year round in Seattle. It does indeed sharpen your riding in the rain skills.
paulinsf

Postby papaballoon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 21:36 21

Yeah, i can pronounce it. Lived in Walla Walla for about 6 years. Best weather in Washington
papaballoon
Super Poster

Postby Whiteknuckle » Thu Aug 13, 2015 13:08 13

Always shake my head about the ones like in the picture above. Shorts and flip-flops. But is wearing a full face helmet and armored jacket! ? lol - what is the point? they dont care about walking after a crash? or do they want to preserve some skin on upper body to be harvested for the road rash on lower body?

A few years ago when i had a Derbi Boulevard 150cc scooter. Was walking towards the bike adjusting gear .. full face helmet. gloves. over ankle boots. Textile jacket and pants. There were 3 people standing on sidewalk having a chat. As i near them, one looks at me, looks at bike, looks at me and says. You're not wearing THAT? points at me, while riding THAT? points at bike. As we know, hitting the road at 60kph isnt any softer on a scooter.

for me, with the modern warm weather gear (perforated leather. Textile mesh) available these days it is stupid not toe wear it. There is not really that much of a difference from wearing it to not. When it is hot out you will be hot no matter what you wear (or dont wear) I prefer the sun protection that the gear provides. And also when it is hot out, stop wearing all black gear !! It made a noticeable difference when i switched to all white helmets.
2014 Yamaha BWS125
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Whiteknuckle

Postby Bob Shaw » Sat Aug 15, 2015 13:43 13

I talked to an old timer this week, and his comment was "Dress for the slide, not for the ride".
2006 red Majesty, and 2005 silver Honda Reflex NSS 250
Bob Shaw

Postby Calscoot2 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 0:09 00

Bob Shaw wrote:I talked to an old timer this week, and his comment was "Dress for the slide, not for the ride".

Now that I like, Bob. Was talking to another ol' buddy rider yesterday, we agreed that we shouldn't have made it 25 years in So. Cal. The 70's riding gear unlike today there was Bell, Langlitz leathers, a few but not much else. We didn't know tires had to be replaced for getting hard, nobody did. Mostly shorts and flaps then, we just accepted the risks. Very stupid for todays riding situations. Now with 50 years on wheels, common sense needs to take the place of fast reflexes, too much speed.

Thanks for the reflections, Cal
Calscoot2

Postby Sheda » Sat May 06, 2017 14:29 14

Even us Canadian's up here in BC can pronounce Pew Al Up!
It's all good...
Sheda

Postby cody02 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:11 01

There are lots of videos and footage of vehicular accidents involving motorcycles. The key is to be defensive driver, and always think that other drivers could make mistake so I take extra caution.
cody02

Return to Safety Tips and Ideas